Mediterranean Style Meat and Okra Stew
|Baby okra||2 Pound (frozen or fresh)|
|Olive oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Boneless chicken breast/Lamb||1 Pound, cubed (or beef shanks. You can omit this for vegetarian stew) (Optional)|
|Garlic clove||5 Large, minced|
|Tomato puree/Tomato sauce||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Cilantro/Coriander leaves||1 Cup (16 tbs), chopped|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (or to taste)|
|Cracked black pepper||1 Teaspoon|
1. Heat a large skillet over medium high. Add olive oil and heat.
2. Add the fresh or frozen and defrosted okra pieces and fry in the oil for 5 minutes, sauteing frequently. Do not mash up the okra
3. Add the onions to the skillet and saute with the okra for another 5 minutes or until onions are soft and golden. Remove the okra and onion mixture to a bowl.
4. Add more olive oil and add chicken or meat to the skillet. Saute until meat is evenly browned or seared and almost cooked (will take longer for beef or lamb). Then add the garlic and cook a minute or two more.
5. Return the okra and onion mixture back to the pan and give a light toss.
6. Add the tomato sauce and give a light stir.
7. Pour in the tomato puree/sauce along with a little water and stir gently.
8. Add in half the cilantro and the seasonings and stir. Bring to a boil then reduce to low heat and simmer for 15 minutes (or until the meat is tender)
9. Taste and adjust the seasoning if required.
10. Dish out the meat and okra stew into a bowl.
11. Garnish with remaining cilantro and squeeze lemon juice on top. You can place the lemon rind on top for garnish.
12. Serve with rice or pasta.
Calories 440 Calories from Fat 152
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 17 g26.5%
Saturated Fat 2.6 g13%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 65.8 mg21.9%
Sodium 644.5 mg26.9%
Total Carbohydrates 42 g14.1%
Dietary Fiber 12.8 g51%
Sugars 15.4 g
Protein 35 g70.8%
Vitamin A 46.2% Vitamin C 131.3%
Calcium 26.3% Iron 40.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet