Vegan Mujaddara Hamra
|Brown lentils||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Long grain rice||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), rinsed|
|Onion||2 Cup (32 tbs), chopped|
|Olive oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|For the garnish|
|Onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), sliced, caramelized|
|Fresh parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
1. In a 4 quart pot, on medium heat and add the olive oil then the onions, cook for about 5-6 minutes until brown and caramelized.
2. Add the rice and lentils and stir with the onions, pour water and stir.
3. Season with salt, stir again and then cover and let cook on medium/low heat for about 40 minutes, stir in between.
4. After 40 minutes add the cumin and cook for another 15 minutes and add another cup of water if necessary, cook until lentils are no longer hard.
5. In a serving plate spread the mujaddara and top with caramelized onions and parsley. Serve with yogurt or salad.
Calories 482 Calories from Fat 89
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 10 g15.7%
Saturated Fat 1.4 g6.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1479.1 mg61.6%
Total Carbohydrates 79 g26.2%
Dietary Fiber 21.4 g85.5%
Sugars 6.5 g
Protein 21 g41.3%
Vitamin A 15.1% Vitamin C 36.8%
Calcium 14.5% Iron 58.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet