Surfin Sapolopolous's Homemade dolmades aka Stuffed Grape Leaves
|Grape leaves||1 Bottle (1 l), preserve (from a Middle East Market)|
|Ground beef||1 Pound|
|Garlic clove||4 Medium, mince|
|Jasmine rice||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (to taste)|
|Seasoning mix||1 Teaspoon (Zorobs Greek Seasoning, to taste)|
|Lemon||6 Medium, squeeze|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Chicken bouillon cube||1|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Mint||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped finely|
1. To make the filling, in a skillet, sauté the ground beef with garlic until well browned.
2. Add the rice and sauté until it is translucent.
3. Season with the Greek seasoning and salt. Add water just enough to cover the mixture.
4. Reduce heat and cook until the rice and meat is tender and all the liquid has been absorbed.
5. Allow this mixture to cool.
6. Drain the grape leaves reserving the liquid to make the broth.
7. Using the grape leaf stuff, stuff and roll the grape leaves with the prepared beef and rice mixture.
8. Arrange the dolmades in a flat bottom pan, stacking them over each other if needed.
9. In a measuring cup, combine the preserving liquid, the lemon juice, Greek seasoning and olive oil. Whisk until well blended.
10. Pour the broth over the stuffed grape leaves in the pan.
11. Cover and steam them until they are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
12. Allow the dolmades to cool.
13. Serve them warm or cold. You can store them in a jar or container, in the refrigerator.
Calories 240 Calories from Fat 117
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13 g20.2%
Saturated Fat 4.1 g20.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 26.7 mg8.9%
Sodium 296.7 mg12.4%
Total Carbohydrates 25 g8.3%
Dietary Fiber 10.6 g42.5%
Sugars 5.3 g
Protein 12 g24%
Vitamin A 459.5% Vitamin C 54.4%
Calcium 32.8% Iron 15.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet