Chakchouka Moroccan Vegetable Stew
|Aubergine||1 Small, sliced thinly|
|Tomatoes||8 Ounce (225 g)|
|Onion||1 Medium, skinned and thinly sliced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), skinned and crushed|
|Green chilli/Chilli powder-1/2 teaspoon||1 , seeded and chopped|
|Olive oil||60 Milliliter (4 tablespoon)|
1) Preheat the grill to moderate heat.
2) In a colander, place the aubergine slices sprinkled each layer with salt.
3) Place a plate, to press the aubergine and leave to sweat for 20-30 minutes.
4) Place the peppers under a grill and cook until the skins char on all sides, turning them frequently.
5) Take the peppers out from the grill and wrap immediately in paper towel.
6) Leave aside to cool.
7) In a pot of boiling water, dip the tomatoes for few seconds.
8) Remove and dip in cold water, peel off the skins and chop the flesh roughly.
9) Gently wash the aubergine slices under cold running water, and dry with paper towels.
10) In a saucepan, heat oil and saute sliced onion, garlic and chilli, if using, for about 5 minutes until soft.
11) Stir in the aubergine slices, tomatoes, chilli powder, if using, salt and pepper to taste.
12) Simmer for 20 minutes, stirring frequently until cooked.
13) Serve hot garnished with chopped parsley if desired , with hot rice.