Mediterranean Stuffed Grape Leaves
|Vine leaves||36 , steamed until they turn light green|
|Olive oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Onions||2 Medium, chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Dried parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried dill weed||1 Tablespoon|
|Dried mint||1 Teaspoon|
|Raw rice||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Thai Red, Wehani Or Short Grain Brown)|
|Pine nuts/Chopped walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Olive oil||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
1) The oven is heated to 350 degrees C.
2) The vine leaves are rinsed with hot water and drained well.
3) The leaves are patted dry.
4) They are placed on linen towels, with the shiny side facing down.
5) Olive oil is warmed in a skillet
6) Onions are sauteed in the skillet along with garlic and parsley for a few minutes, till the vegetable turns tender.
7) Dill, mint, rice and pine nuts are added and sauteed for a few minutes.
8) When the rice becomes fragrant, salt and pepper are added along with lemon juice and water.
9) The dish is covered and simmered for about 40 minutes.
10) The rice mixture is cooled and when it has cooled, about 2 tablespoons of the pilaf is placed near the stem of the vine leaves (on non-shiny side).
11) The leaves are rolled like an egg-roll, with the base side of the leaf folded over and the sides folded in. The leaves are rolled tight.
12) These rolled leaves are layered in an oven proof pot (with a heavy lid).
13) Every layer is sprinkled with a mixture of the remaining lemon juice and olive oil.
14) These layers are pressed down with a heavy plate.
15) The dish is baked for about 1/2 hour.
16) When done, the leaves are drained and refrigerated.
17) The grape leaves are served cold
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3478 Calories from Fat 2395
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 274 g421.1%
Saturated Fat 34.9 g174.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1122.4 mg46.8%
Total Carbohydrates 242 g80.6%
Dietary Fiber 30.6 g122.4%
Sugars 29.4 g
Protein 41 g81.1%
Vitamin A 654.1% Vitamin C 167.5%
Calcium 111.3% Iron 208%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet