Cucumber Salad with Pomegranate Vinaigrette
|Cilantro||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), coarsely chopped|
|Extra virgin olive oil/Flax oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Pomegranate molasses||3 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon, freshly squeezed|
|Dijon mustard||1 Tablespoon|
|Garlic clove||7 Medium, pressed (or pounded to a paste in a mortar with sea salt)|
|Sea salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cumin||1⁄2 Teaspoon, ground|
|Red chili/Cayenne pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon, ground|
1) Peel the cucumbers and cut in half lengthwise. If the seeds are coarse, scoop them out with a spoon.
2) Cut them into slices about 3/8-inch thick and place them in a large bowl with the cilantro.
3) In a small skillet or saucepan, toast the cumin seeds over high heat, shaking constantly until the seeds darken and fragrant.
4) Then transfer the seeds into the mortar and pound the seeds to a powder. Alternately, crush the seeds on a cutting board with the back of a wooden spoon.
5) Add the peeled garlic and remaining 1/4 teaspoon of salt and pound until it forms a mushy paste. Alternately, mash the garlic and salt with the side of a knife on your cutting board or press it through a garlic press.
6) In a bowl, place the garlic paste or pressed garlic and add the oil, pomegranate molasses, lemon juice, mustard, toasted cumin and chile. Whisk until the mixture emulsifies.
7) Then add the cucumber slices and cilantro and toss well.
8) Serve the cucumber salad in small bowls or as desired.