Fennel Marinated Salmon
|Fennel bulbs||2 Large (with tops intact)|
|Olive oil||4 Fluid Ounce (1/2 cup / 125 milliliter)|
|Fresh lemon juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Salmon steaks||32 Ounce (4, pieces, 8 ounce / 250 gram each and about 1 inch thick or skinless fillets)|
1. Chop the fennel tops to form 4 tablespoons of finely chopped greens.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the chopped fennel, 1/4 cup (2 fl oz/60 ml) of the oil, the lemon juice, salt and pepper together to make a uniform dressing.
3. Wash the fish and place them on a shallow glass or porcelain dish and pour the marinade on top of the fish.
4. Cover the dish and refrigerate for 30 minutes or 1 hour while turning once.
5. Trim the bulbs and then cut each bulb into half lengthwise.
6. Cook the fennel bulbs in boiling salted water till just tender. This will take about 7-10 minutes. Once the bulbs are cooked drain them and set aside to cool
7. Prepare a fire in the grill and place the oiled grill rack 4-6 inches from the fire.
8. Drain the fish from the marinade and then reserve the marinade.
9. Place the fish and the fennel bulbs on the rack and grill for 10 minutes till the fish is opaque and done. During the cooking process, turn the fish once and turn the fennel twice or thrice brushing the fish and fennel with the 1/4 cup (2 fl oz/60 ml) oil.
10. Serve the fish on a warmed platter topped with lemon butter.