|Chickpeas||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), soaked overnight|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Stock||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Bulgur||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), uncooked|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), minced|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Red pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Whole wheat flour||2 Tablespoon|
|Whole wheat bread crumbs||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Minced fresh coriander||2 Tablespoon|
|Tahini paste||2 Tablespoon (Tahini Paste)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Egg substitute||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Pita||6 , split and warmed|
|Diced tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Non fat yogurt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Alfalfa sprouts||4 Ounce|
1) Drain the chickpeas.
2) In a saucepan, combine chickpeas with water and bring to a boil.
3) Cover and cook over medium heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until very tender.
4) Drain the chickpeas.
5) Puree the chickpeas in food mill or food processor.
6) Transfer the puree to a large bowl.
7) In a saucepan, bring 1/3 cup of the stock to a boil.
8) Add the bulgur, garlic, cinnamon, and red pepper to the stock.
9) Cover, remove from the heat and let stand for 20 minutes, or until all the liquid has been absorbed.
10) Work with fork until the bulgur is fluff.
11) Add the bulgur mixture to the chickpeas.
12) In the same saucepan, heat remaining 1/3 cup of stock and whisk in the flour.
13) Cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce comes to a boil and becomes very thick.
14) In the bowl mix the flour mixture with the chickpeas.
15) Add 1/2 cup of the breadcrumbs, the coriander, tahini, lemon juice, and cumin, mix well.
16) Cover the bowl and refrigerate 1 hour, or until cold and thick.
17) Form the mixture into 12 patties about 1/2 inch thick.
18) In a bowl, lightly beat the egg substitute and water with a fork.
19) Dip the patties into the egg mixture and then into the remaining breadcrumbs to coat completely.
20) In a non-stick pan, saute the patties in the oil until golden on both sides.
21) Serve in the warm pita pockets topped with the tomatoes, yogurt, and sprouts.
Calories 702 Calories from Fat 186
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 21 g32.8%
Saturated Fat 2.4 g11.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1.8 mg0.6%
Sodium 582.7 mg24.3%
Total Carbohydrates 102 g34%
Dietary Fiber 14.2 g56.6%
Sugars 9.5 g
Protein 28 g56.5%
Vitamin A 19.8% Vitamin C 24.6%
Calcium 28.4% Iron 27.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet