Honey Nut Baklava
|Walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), pieced|
|Almond||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), pieced|
|Honey||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Pure vanilla extract||1 Tablespoon|
|Clarified butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Phyllo pastry sheets||9 , Defrosted|
|Chocolate chips||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Using a food processor, chop nuts.
3. In a medium bowl, using a wooden spoon, stir vanilla with honey until honey is completely absorbed.
4. Mix in nuts and stir until they are completely honey-coated.
5. Line a greased baking sheet with parchment paper and keep aside.
6. In a small pot, warm clarified butter.
7. Spread out defrosted phyllo-dough and quickly create two stacks, one of 6 sheets and another of 3 sheets.
8. Keep the second stack covered while preparing the first stack.
Preparing first stack
9. Using a pastry brush, brush each of the sheets with clarified butter, and stack one upon the other.
10. With a kitchen scissors, cut stack into two equal pieces.
11. Arrange half of the sheets on baking sheet. Top evenly with ½ the honey-and-nut mixture.
12. Top with second half and spread rest of the honey-and-nut mixture above it.
Preparing the second stack
13. Fold the second stalk into half after brushing with clarified butter.
14. Arrange above honey-and-nut mixture spread stack.
15. Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the top turns golden and honey bubbles.
16. Take off the oven and allow to cool.
17. Cut the pastry horizontally into 6 pieces and then, slice at 45 degree angle for 6 more slices. This will yield 36 triangular pieces.
18. In a stainless-steel double boiler, melt ½ cup chocolate chips. Keep stirring until it is smooth.
19. Take off from heat, dip a fork and drizzle hot chocolate over cooling baklava.
20. Sprinkle a little powdered sugar on the top of Honey Nut Baklava and serve.