Warm Mediterranean Eggplant Dip With Herbed Pita Crisps
|Eggplant||14 Ounce, trimmed and sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick (Or 1 Medium)|
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Coarse salt||2 Teaspoon (Kosher)|
|Yellow squash||1 Medium|
|White mushrooms||5 Medium, cut into 1/4-inch dice|
|Red onion||1⁄2 Medium, finely chopped|
|Minced garlic||1 Tablespoon|
|Dry red wine||2 Tablespoon|
|Balsamic vinegar||2 Teaspoon|
|Marinated artichoke hearts||6 Ounce, chopped, liquid reserved (1 Jar)|
|Tomato||1 Large, cut into 1/4-inch dice|
|Crushed red pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Tomato sauce||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Preferably Homemade)|
|Diced pimiento||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Drained capers||1 Tablespoon|
|Kalamata olives||1 Tablespoon, minced|
|Minced basil||2 Tablespoon|
|Minced flat leaf parsley||1 Tablespoon|
|Herbed pita crisps||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 450°. Spread the eggplant slices on a baking sheet and drizzle 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil on top. Season with 1 teaspoon of the salt. Bake for 25 minutes. Let cool slightly, then chop finely and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, using a sharp knife, cut a 1/4-inch-thick lengthwise slice of the skin of the yellow squash. Place the squash cut-side down on a work surface and cut off the remaining skin in 1/4-inch-thick lengthwise slices all around. Cut the skin slices into 1/4-inch dice. Repeat with the zucchini. (Save the squash pulp for another use.) Set aside.
3. In a large, heavy, nonreactive saucepan, heat the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil over moderately high heat until shimmering, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, onion, yellow squash and zucchini. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to brown lightly, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
4. Stir in the red wine, vinegar and artichoke liquid. Add the tomato, crushed red pepper, black pepper and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring, until the tomato softens and the mixture is thick, about 5 minutes.
5. Stir in the artichoke hearts, tomato sauce, pimiento, capers, olives, basil, parsley and the reserved eggplant. Reduce the heat to moderately low and cook until heated through, about 3 minutes. Serve warm with Herbed Pita Crisps. (This dip can be made up to 2 days ahead; reheat before serving.)