|Fennel bulbs||4 Small (Or 3 Large Sized)|
|Olive oil||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chicken||3 1⁄2 Pound, cut into 8 pieces (1 Bird)|
|Dry white wine/Hard apple cider||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chicken broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), minced|
|Dried oregano||1 Teaspoon|
|Canned chickpeas||15 Ounce, drained, rinsed (1 Can)|
|Canned red kidney beans/Pink beans||15 Ounce, drained, rinsed (1 Can, Small Beans)|
|Canned pink beans/Canned small red kidney beans||15 Ounce, rinsed and drained|
|Green pimiento stuffed olives||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Spanish Variety)|
|Pimiento stuffed spanish olives||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Green Variety)|
|Tightly packed fresh parsley/Dill leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh dill leaves/Fresh parsley leaves||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
1. Preheat the oven to 375 Â°F.
2. Halve and core the fennel bulbs and cut them into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
3. Heat the oil in a deep 6-quart flameproof casserole over medium-high heat. Saute the chicken just to stiffen the skin, about 2 minutes per side.
4. Remove the chicken to a bowl, and add the fennel and wine to the casserole. Cover and cook over low heat until the fennel starts to become tender, 3 to 5 minutes. While this is cooking, grate 1 teaspoon lemon zest and squeeze 1/4 cup lemon juice.
5. Add the lemon zest and juice, broth, garlic, oregano, and bay leaf to the fennel. Return the dark meat and chicken wings to the casserole, and bring the liquid to a simmer over high heat. Cover, transfer to the oven, and bake for 30 minutes.
6. Add the breast meat, chickpeas, and red beans to the casserole. Cover and bake until the chicken is cooked through, 15 minutes more. While this is cooking, chop the olives and parsley and mix them together.
7. Remove the chicken to a platter and let it rest for 10 minutes. When it is cool enough to handle, remove and discard the skin and the fat underneath the skin (leave the skin on the chicken wings; it's just too hard to remove it). Bring the beans and juices in the casserole back to a simmer, add the olives and parsley, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Spoon the juices and beans over the chicken and serve.