Traditional Easter Figures
|Self raising flour||400 Gram|
|Vanilla essence||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Almonds||400 Gram, ground|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Or As Required)|
|Almond essence||1 Teaspoon|
1. In a bowl rub the fat into the flour and keep aside.
2. In another bowl, beat the eggs well and, with the sugar and mix with the fat and flour mixture to form into pastry dough by adding sufficient milk.
3. To make the marzipan filling in a pan mix sugar with water and bring to the boil and add the essence.
4. When mixture 'threads' stir the ground almonds well, remove from over heat and let it cool.
5. Using a rolling pin roll out the pastry to 1 cm thickness and using a figolla cutter cut into pairs of identical shapes.
6. With the marzipan filling fill one side of the figolla and cover with the identical shape.
7. With water seal all the edges well and bake in moderate oven until golden.
8. When cool cover the top with colored icing to match the shape and decorate with piped royal icing.
9. On top of each figolla add an easter egg and serve.