Traditional Easter Figures
|Self raising flour||400 Gram|
|Vanilla essence||1 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Almonds||400 Gram, ground|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Or As Required)|
|Almond essence||1 Teaspoon|
1. In a bowl rub the fat into the flour and keep aside.
2. In another bowl, beat the eggs well and, with the sugar and mix with the fat and flour mixture to form into pastry dough by adding sufficient milk.
3. To make the marzipan filling in a pan mix sugar with water and bring to the boil and add the essence.
4. When mixture 'threads' stir the ground almonds well, remove from over heat and let it cool.
5. Using a rolling pin roll out the pastry to 1 cm thickness and using a figolla cutter cut into pairs of identical shapes.
6. With the marzipan filling fill one side of the figolla and cover with the identical shape.
7. With water seal all the edges well and bake in moderate oven until golden.
8. When cool cover the top with colored icing to match the shape and decorate with piped royal icing.
9. On top of each figolla add an easter egg and serve.
Calories 2287 Calories from Fat 1170
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 134 g206.8%
Saturated Fat 19.3 g96.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 159 mg53%
Sodium 1353.5 mg56.4%
Total Carbohydrates 248 g82.7%
Dietary Fiber 15.2 g60.7%
Sugars 154.9 g
Protein 36 g72.4%
Vitamin A 75.3% Vitamin C 8.4%
Calcium 63.4% Iron 50.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet