Garden Greens With Fennel Dressing
|Unflavored gelatin||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Cold water||2 Tablespoon|
|Boiling water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Dry mustard||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Anise extract/Ground fennel seeds||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Fresh lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Raspberry vinegar/Wine vinegar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Walnut oil/Canola oil||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Bibb lettuce||10 Ounce, torn into bite sized pieces (1 Head)|
|Radicchio||10 Ounce, torn into bite sized pieces (1 Head)|
|Arugula||3 Ounce, torn into bite sized pieces (1 Bunch)|
|Mache/Spinach leaves||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fennel bulb||8 Ounce, finely chopped, reserve fern for garnish|
|Pine nuts||1 Tablespoon, toasted|
1. In a small bowl, soften gelatin in cold water for 2 minutes.
2. Add the boiling water to gelatin and stir until gelatin is completely dissolved.
3. Stir in salt and sugar completely dissolved.
4. Whisk in remaining dressing ingredients except oil.
5. Add oil in a slow and steady streak while whisking constantly until amalgamated into the mixture.
6. Cover bowl and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight until the dressing thickens to the consistency of egg white.
7. In a large bowl, combine all the salad greens and fennel
8. Whisk the dressing with a fork and pour over the salad.
9. Toss using two large salad spoons to coat the leaves with the dressing.
10. Heap equal amounts of salad on 6 chilled salad plates.
11. Sprinkle pine nuts on each.
12. Garnish with sprig of fennel fern, if desired.