Mediterranean Chop Salad
|For the salad dressing|
|Fresh lemon juice||2 Tablespoon (Seeds strained out)|
|Lemon zest||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Dijon mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Garlic clove||1 Medium, minced|
|Fresh ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Olive oil||6 Tablespoon|
|For the salad|
|Garbanzo beans||14 Ounce, drained (One 14 oz Can)|
|Pitted kalamata olives||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), chopped|
|Red onion||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), minced|
|English cucumber||1 Medium, diced (Hot House Cucumber)|
|Grape tomatoes||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs), quartered (Cherry tomatoes)|
|Crumbled feta cheese||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Roasted chicken||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), shredded (Left over chicken may be used) (Optional)|
|Romaine lettuce head||1 Medium, chopped|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
To prepare the salad dressing:
1. Into a large bowl, add fresh lemon juice and the lemon zest, whisk the zest in with the juice.
2. Add a teaspoon of light mayonnaise, tsp of dijon mustard, garlic.
3. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Add olive oil and whisk well.
To prepare the salad:
5. Add the garbanzo beans and all the other chopped ingredients for the salad to the bowl with the dressing and toss everything well. (Shredded chicken pieces can be added optionally into this salad)
6. Finally season with a little more of ground black pepper.
7. Serve fresh.
All the ingredients for the salad except the lettuce may be added, tossed and chilled in the refrigerator for a while. The lettuce may be added later before serving.
The salad dressing can be prepared ahead of time, stored in a container, and then put together as a salad just before the meal.
When you are preparing the vegetables for this salad, remember to keep all the pieces about the same size.
2. A pair of Tongs