Stuffed Vine Leaves
|Vine leaves||16 Ounce (1 Jar)|
|Olive oil||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Rice||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Water||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), soaked in 1/2 cup water|
|Pine nuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Finely chopped parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Tomatoes||2 Medium, peeled, seeded, and chopped|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon (Juice Of 1 Lemon)|
1. Empty the vine leaves from the jar and wash thoroughly under cold running water
2. Drain the water using a strainer and unfold the leaves gently.
3. Add olive oil to a ceramic or 1 quart glass casserole and heat on a high setting for 30 seconds.
4. Sautee onions for 1 minute in the casserole.
5. Add the rice and sautee for 2 minutes.
6. Add the drained raisins, pine nuts and water, continuously stirring.
7. Cover the mixture and allow it to cook for 10 minutes.
8. Once it is cooked and remove from the heat and keep aside for 10 minutes.
9. Add the tomatoes and parsley. Stir
10. Add in the parsley, salt, pepper, cinnamon.
Stir till well incorporated.
11. To prepare stuffing the vine leaves begin by unfolding each vine leaf neatly and gently so that it does tear.Reserve 2/3 leaves for stuffing and 1/3rd for layering.
12. In the centre of the leaf for stuffing, place approximately 1 tablespoon of the stuffing mixture.
13. Carefully fold the ends of the leaves to enclose the stuffing.
14. Fold the sides to the leaves to the centre and roll to form neat wrapped package.
15. As the vine leaves are wet and thin, they do not need extra string or anything to keep the ends together or secured
16. Take the baking dish and line half the stuffed vine leaves neatly lengthwise.
17.Place a layer of unstuffed vine leaves on top.
18. Place a layer of the remaining stuffed vine leaves on top of the unfilled vine leaves.
19. Add water to the baking dish sufficient enough to cover the vine leaves just till the top.
20. Sprinkle the lemon juice on top.
21. Place a weighted plate or saucer to press the vine leaves down. Then cover the dish with waxed paper.
22.Let it steam for 20 minutes.
23.Allow to stand without uncovering for 1 hour
24. Drain the liquid from the casserole and refrigerate till chilled.
25.Serve cold as an appertif or as hors d'oeuvres