|Onions||3 Medium, chopped|
|Butter/Margarine||6 Tablespoon (3/4 Stick)|
|Ground beef/Lamb||1 Pound|
|Minced parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Ground thyme||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Light cream/Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Potatoes||2 Pound, sliced|
|Fine dry bread crumbs||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1) Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2) In a large skillet, saute the onions in 2 tablespoons of the butter or margarine until soft.
3) Stir in the meat, stir continuously and cook for another 3 minutes.
4) Stir in 1 tablespoon flour, parsley, thyme, salt, pepper and pour in water, then stir continuously and cook for 2 minutes or until thick.
5) Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
6) Separarate 2 eggs into yolks and whites.
7) In a small bowl, beat the yolks and 2 tablespoons cream or milk, then stir into the meat mixture.
8) In a small bowl, stiffly beat the 2 egg whites and fold into the meat mixture.
9) In a large skillet, saute the potatoes in3 tablespoons of butter or margarine, stir occasionally and cook covered, until half done.
10) Brush a 10-cup baking dish with butter, sprinkle rest of the butter or margarine with bread crumbs. 11) Then arrange the meat and potatoes in layers, finish with the potatoes.
12) Bake uncovered in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.
13) In a small bowl, beat rest of the flour, cream or milk and egg together.
14) Pour over the potatoes and bake for another 10 minutes.
15) Serve immediately on individual serving plates.