Mediterranean Stuffed Shells
|Canned anchovy fillets||2 Ounce, drained (1 Can)|
|1% low fat milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Jumbo pasta shells||1 Pound|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Onion||1 Large, chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), finely chopped|
|Sweet peppers||2 Large, diced|
|Celery stalks||2 , chopped|
|Mushrooms||10 Ounce, sliced|
|Canned crushed tomatoes||28 Ounce (2 Cans, 14 Ounce Each)|
|Chopped black olives||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Black pepper||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Crushed red pepper flakes||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Chopped fresh basil/1 tablespoon dried parsley||3 Tablespoon|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. ln a small bowl, cover the anchovies with the milk and let soak for 1 hour, then drain and discard the milk.
2. Chop the anchovy fillets. Keep aside until required
3. Preheat the oven to 375degree F
4. Lightly grease a large baking dish with oil
5. In a large saucepan, bring water to a boil.
6. Add the pasta and cook until just tender.
7. Drain in a colander and let cool.
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over moderate heat.
8. Add and sauté onion and garlic for about 5 minutes or until soft.
9. Add sweet peppers and celery and cook for about 2 minutes then add mushrooms and Sauté for another 3 minutes until soft.
10. Take pan off the heat and cool
In a small saucepan, place the crushed tomatoes, olives, anchovies, and peppers. Simmer the mixture for about 5 minutes until sauce like consistency.
11. Stir in the chopped basil.
12. Spoon the sweet pepper and mushroom mixture into the pasta shells and pack firmly.
13. Arrange them in the baking dish and pour over the sauce.
14. Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
15. Bake the pasta in the preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes until heated through and cheese has lightly browned.
16. Serve the stuffed pasta straight out of the oven
Calories 671 Calories from Fat 111
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g19%
Saturated Fat 2.3 g11.3%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 15.8 mg5.3%
Sodium 1018.1 mg42.4%
Total Carbohydrates 119 g39.7%
Dietary Fiber 12.6 g50.6%
Sugars 10.9 g
Protein 30 g60.1%
Vitamin A 50% Vitamin C 169.1%
Calcium 28% Iron 37.1%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet