Slow Roasted Pork with Fennel and Black Pepper
|Rolled boned pork shoulder joint||4 1⁄2 Ounce (2 Kilogram)|
|Garlic||3 Clove (15 gm), finely chopped|
|Fennel seeds||1 Tablespoon, crushed|
|Black peppercorns||1 Tablespoon, crushed|
|Chopped rosemary||1 Tablespoon|
|Bay leaves||2 , finely chopped|
|Dry white wine||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
1. Prepare the joint by cutting the string and unrolling it. Flatten it out as much as possible and cut away any thick pieces to produce an even thick slab of meat.
2. Prepare a mixture of garlic, rosemary, fennel, pepper, bay and one tablespoon salt.
3. Sprinkle the meat with the mixture and massage it gently into the meat surface.
4. Place the meat slab on a platter and cover it loosely with foil.
5. Leave it to chill for 4 hours or overnight.
6. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4
7. Just before preparing, reroll the joint and tie it up with string at intervals along its length.
8. Rest the meat roll at room temperature before you start cooking it.
9. In a roasting tin, place the rolled pork roll and roast for 2 hours basting occasionally.
10. Remove from the oven and pour out the pan juices to make a gravy if required
11. Transfer the meat to a platter, and cover the meat with foil as it will continue to cook
12. Serve the roast with beans and salad.
Calories 83 Calories from Fat 22
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g3.8%
Saturated Fat 0.9 g4.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 4 mg0.2%
Total Carbohydrates 5 g1.5%
Dietary Fiber 1.1 g4.5%
Sugars 0.3 g
Protein 5 g10.7%
Vitamin A 1.5% Vitamin C 2.5%
Calcium 3.7% Iron 3.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet