Hummus with Roasted Red Bell Pepper
|For the hummus|
|Boiled garbanzo beans||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs), soaked, drained and cooked (Set aside a few for garnishing the hummus)|
|Sesame seeds||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon (Soaked in a little water)|
|Roasted pepper||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Roasted red bell pepper used) (Optional)|
|Cumin powder||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Fresh lime juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Water||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Use as required)|
|For the garnish|
|Boiled garbanzo beans||1 Teaspoon|
|Roasted peppers||1⁄4 Teaspoon, chopped finely (Roasted red bell pepper used)|
|Olive oil||1 Teaspoon|
1. Soak garbanzo beans (chick peas) over night in water. Drain them and cook until well cooked.
2. Soak sesame seeds in water.
3. Into a food processor add the cooked garbanzo beans, soaked sesame seeds, roasted red bell pepper, salt, cumin powder, fresh lime juice and a little water. Blend until you get a smooth paste.
4. Remove the blended hummus into a serving bowl. Garnish with a few boiled garbanzo beans, finely chopped roasted bell pepper and sprinkles of paprika powder.
5. Drizzle with olive oil and serve the hummus as a spread with pita bread or as a dip with chips or freshly cut vegetables.
You can saute red bell pepper in a pan and add the saute bell pepper if roasted bell pepper is not available.
Feta cheese may be used for added flavor.
Calories 139 Calories from Fat 49
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g8.8%
Saturated Fat 0.71 g3.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 186.3 mg7.8%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.8%
Dietary Fiber 5.1 g20.2%
Sugars 3 g
Protein 6 g11.9%
Vitamin A 2.1% Vitamin C 7.2%
Calcium 8.4% Iron 14.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet