Sweet Vegetable Couscous
|Saffron threads||1 1⁄4 Pinch|
|Boiling water||45 Milliliter (3 Tablespoon)|
|Olive oil||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Red onion||1 , sliced|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Red chilies||2 , seeded and finely chopped|
|Ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped tomatoes||14 Ounce (400 Gram, 1 Can)|
|Vegetable stock/Water||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter, 1 1/4 Cups)|
|Carrots||4 , cut into 1/4 inch slices|
|Turnips||2 , peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes|
|Sweet potatoes||1 Pound, peeled and cut into 3/4 inch cubes|
|Raisins||3 Ounce (75 Gram, 2/3 Cup)|
|Courgettes||2 , cut into 1/4 inch slices|
|Canned chickpeas||14 Ounce, drained, rinsed (400 Gram)|
|Chopped parsley||45 Milliliter (3 Tablespoon)|
|Chopped coriander||45 Milliliter (3 Tablespoon)|
|Quick cook couscous||1 Pound (450 Gram, 4 Cups)|
1. Leave the saffron to infuse in the boiling water.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan or flameproof casserole. Add the onion, garlic and chillies, and cook gently for about 5 minutes.
3. Add the ground ginger and cinnamon, and gently cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes, stock or water, saffron and liquid, carrots, turnips, sweet potatoes and raisins, cover and simmer for a further 25 minutes.
5. Add the courgettes, chick-peas, parsley and coriander, and cook for a further 10 minutes.
6. Meanwhile prepare the couscous following the manufacturer's instructions, and then serve with the prepared vegetables.
Calories 548 Calories from Fat 52
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6 g9.3%
Saturated Fat 0.83 g4.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 591.5 mg24.6%
Total Carbohydrates 112 g37.5%
Dietary Fiber 17.5 g70.1%
Sugars 29.9 g
Protein 16 g32.3%
Vitamin A 581.7% Vitamin C 135.7%
Calcium 19.2% Iron 27.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet