|Eggplants||2 Pound (2 Medium Size)|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Low fat ricotta cheese||1 Pound|
|Egg/1/4 cup prepared egg substitute||1|
|Minced flat leaf italian parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|White pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Cream of tartar||1 Pinch|
|Milk||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs) (May Use Low Fat)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. After peeling the eggplant and slice it into rounds.
2. Salt both sides and stand the slices in a colander to drain for 30 minutes.
3. Rinse the slices, squeeze out the moisture, and pat them dry.
4. Preheat the oven to 375° F.
5. Brush the slices on both sides with olive oil and lay them in a single layer on baking sheets.
6. Salt and pepper them to your taste.
7. Bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned and tender.
8. Mix the ricotta cheese with the egg, parsley, and white pepper.
9. Beat the egg whites with cream of tartar until they are stiff.
10. Melt the butter in a medium saucepan.
11. Stir in the flour and cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring often.
12. In another pan or in the microwave, heat the milk to a simmer, and add it all at once to the butter-flour mixture, stirring constantly over medium heat until thickened.
13. Add the salt and nutmeg.
14. Fold the beaten egg whites into the hot sauce.
15. Assemble the moussaka.
16. In a nonreactive (glass or stainless steel) oblong baking dish or roasting pan, 2 1/2-quart capacity, arrange one-third of the eggplant, then all the ricotta, another third of the eggplant, the tomato sauce, the remaining eggplant, and top with the white sauce.
17. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
18. The moussaka can be prepared an hour or so ahead of time to this point.
19. Cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
20. Bake in a preheated 375° F. oven for 45 minutes, or until golden brown on top and bubbly throughout.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1761 Calories from Fat 908
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 103 g158.4%
Saturated Fat 53.8 g269.1%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 477.9 mg159.3%
Sodium 2750.7 mg114.6%
Total Carbohydrates 122 g40.7%
Dietary Fiber 33.3 g133%
Sugars 42.4 g
Protein 101 g201.7%
Vitamin A 119.8% Vitamin C 100.3%
Calcium 213.5% Iron 50.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet