Wholemeal Macaroni Cheese With Fennel
|Wholemeal macaroni||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Skimmed milk||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Vegetable margarine||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Gram)|
|Wholemeal flour||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Chopped chives/Spring onion||30 Milliliter (2 Tablespoon)|
|Black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Fennel||1 , chopped|
|Cheddar cheese||2 Ounce, grated (50 Gram)|
1. Cook the macaroni in a saucepan of boiling water for 7-10 minutes until just tender. Drain well.
2. Heat the milk, onion and bay leaf in a small saucepan. Bring to the boil, remove from the heat and allow the milk to infuse for 10 minutes.
3. Melt the margarine over a moderate heat in a small pan. Stir in the flour and cook gently for 3-4 minutes to form a soft roux.
4. Remove the onion and bay leaf from the milk. Gradually add the milk to the roux, stirring constantly. Bring to the boil over a moderate heat, stirring well as the sauce thickens.
5. Stir in the chives, black pepper, yeast extract, cooked macaroni and chopped fennel. Check the seasoning and cook for 2-3 minutes.
6. Transfer the mixture to a casserole or ovenproof dish and top with the grated cheese. Bake in a preheated oven at Gas Mark 5, 375°F, 190°C for 25 minutes until golden brown. Alternatively, cook under a preheated moderate grill for 10-15 minutes. Serve hot garnished with fennel fronds.