Cashew Nut Moussaka
|Aubergine||1 Large, thinly sliced|
|Olive oil||2 Teaspoon|
|Onion||1 , chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), crushed|
|Mushrooms||4 Ounce, sliced (125 Gram)|
|Green pepper||1 , deseeded and sliced|
|Unsalted cashew nuts||2 Ounce, chopped (50 Gram)|
|Breadcrumbs||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Tomato puree||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Chopped basil||2 Teaspoon|
|Shoyu||15 Milliliter (1 Tablespoon)|
|Water||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Wholemeal||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
|Skimmed milk||1⁄2 Pint (300 Milliliter)|
|Cheddar cheese||2 Ounce, grated (50 Gram)|
|Parmesan cheese||2 Teaspoon, grated|
1. Put the aubergine slices on to a large baking tray which has been lightly brushed with 1/2 teaspoon of the oil. Brush the tops of the aubergine slices with another 1/2 teaspoon of the oil. Bake in a preheated oven at Gas Mark 5,375°F, 190°C for 1G minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
2. Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan and gently fry the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and pepper, cover and cook gently for a further 10 minutes.
3. Stir in the cashew nuts, breadcrumbs, tomato puree, basil, shoyu and sufficient water to make a moist mixture. Check the seasoning.
4. Put approximately half the onion and nut mixture into the base of a large casserole or ovenproof dish. Top with half of the aubergine slices. Then put in the remaining onion mixture and cover with the rest of the aubergine slices.
5. Mix the flour, milk and egg in a blender or food processor until smooth. Alternatively, put the flour into a large bowl, beat the egg with the milk, then gradually beat into the flour.
6. Put the milk mixture into a small pan and slowly bring to the boil, stirring continuously. Simmer for 3-4 minutes until thickened, stirring continuously. Remove from the heat and stir in the Cheddar cheese. Check the seasoning.
7. Pour the cheese sauce over the aubergine mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Cover the dish.
8. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, uncovered for the last 10 minutes. Serve hot garnished with tomato segments.