|Eggplants||2 , sliced into 0.5 inch thickness, i leave them with the skin on|
|Canola oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Frying)|
|Onion||2 Medium, diced|
|Tomatoes||4 Medium, diced (Fresh Or Canned)|
|Tomato paste||8 Ounce (1 Small Can)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Slice eggplants into 1 cm (1/2 inch) thick slices.
2. Sprinkle the eggplants slices with salt to draw the moisture out.
3. Deep fry in canola oil until golden brown in color.
4. Remove from pan, drain from oil over paper towels.
5. Sauté the diced onions, I microwave it sometimes until golden brown color, I use a Pyrex baking dish.
6. Add tomato paste, water, salt and pepper and mix with the onions. This will be your sauce.
7. Layer the fried eggplants in the baking dish over the sauce.
8. Top with diced or sliced tomato and cover the baking pan with plastic wrap, I double the cover.
9. Microwave the pan for at least 20 minutes.
10. Broil the top for a desired baked color.
To cook in the conventional way:
11. In a separate pot, sauté diced onions.
12. Add tomato paste, water, salt and pepper.
13. This will be your sauce that you will add to the layered eggplant in the baking pan.
14. Boil the sauce for about five minutes. It will continue cooking when you bake it with the eggplants.
15. Pour the sauce mixture over the layered eggplants in the baking dish and spread evenly.
16. Top with diced or sliced tomato.
17. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for about 45 minutes in a 350-400 Fahrenheit degree oven (depending on your oven temperature) until the edges are turning brown and the tomato sauce looks and smells cooked!
18. Remove the foil the last 5-10 minutes to brown the top.
19. Serve hot or at room temperature with white rice on the side.
Calories 1151 Calories from Fat 1007
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 114 g175.3%
Saturated Fat 8.5 g42.6%
Trans Fat 0.4 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 166.3 mg6.9%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.8%
Dietary Fiber 11.6 g46.3%
Sugars 18.6 g
Protein 6 g12.9%
Vitamin A 38.8% Vitamin C 65.9%
Calcium 7.3% Iron 15.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet