|Canned garbanzo beans/Chick peas||30 Ounce|
|Fresh parsley||1 Bunch (100 gm), chop|
|Onion||1 Large, chop|
|Coriander seed||1 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Salt and pepper||To Taste|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (Optional)|
|Cooking oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|Fresh tomato||1 Medium, slice|
|Whole wheat pita bread||4 Medium|
|For the dressing|
|Yogurt||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fresh mint leaves||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Flat italian parsley||1 Tablespoon, finely chopped|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Greek seasoning||1 Pinch|
|Extra virgin olive oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
1. Use a molcajete to crush coriander and cumin seed.
2. In the food processor combine garbanzo beans, parsley, onion, crushed cumin and coriander seeds, salt and pepper.
3. Switch on the blender and blend everything.
4. Mince a clove of garlic and add to the blender. Blend.
5. Take out the mixture in another bowl, add flour if needed to bind it together.
6. Heat olive oil in a frying pan and scoop out a spoon of bean batter and put them in the oil. Fry till they are golden brown.
7. In a bowl combine yogurt, mint leaves, flat parsley, lemon juice, greek seasoning, zaatar, salt and pepper and extra virgin olive oil.
8. Scoop out the falafel as they would be golden brown by now.
9. Place the falafel balls on the pita bread, cut the falafel balls into two halves, tuck the tomatoes under the falafel balls and drizzle yogurt dip on it and enjoy.
Calories 509 Calories from Fat 196
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 22 g33.5%
Saturated Fat 3.4 g16.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 7.3 mg2.4%
Sodium 1075 mg44.8%
Total Carbohydrates 74 g24.8%
Dietary Fiber 16 g64%
Sugars 11.4 g
Protein 22 g43.4%
Vitamin A 58.3% Vitamin C 89.9%
Calcium 25.6% Iron 35.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet