|Honey||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Chopped walnuts/Blanched almonds||2 Pound|
|Unsalted butter||3⁄4 Pound, melted|
|Filo||16 Ounce (2 Package)|
1. For syrup, combine all the ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Lower heat at once, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature
2. For filling, combine walnuts and cinnamon in a bowl. Set aside.
3. For filo, melt butter in a saucepan, being careful not to let it brown. Reheat it if it cools and does not spread easily.
4. Remove the layers of filo from their plastic wrapper and lay them flat on a large sheet of aluminum foil. Cover with another sheet of foil. (Filo must be kept completely covered at all times or it will dry out.)
5. Separate the filo layers one at a time. Brush with butter the bottom and sides of an 18 x 12 inch baking pan. Line the bottom of the pan with 4 filo layers, brushing each layer with melted butter before adding the next. After the fourth filo layer has been buttered, sprinkle it evenly with one third of the chopped nuts. Add 2 more filo layers, buttering each. Sprinkle with the remainder of the nuts. Cover with remaining filo, buttering each layer.
6. With a very sharp knife or a single-edge razor blade, using a ruler as a guide, cut into the topmost layers, tracing diamond shapes by making vertical cuts from one end of the pan to the other 1 inch apart, and diagonal cuts slightly less than 1/2 inch apart.
7. Bake at 250°F 1 hour and 50 minutes, or until golden. Cool 5 minutes. Pour the cooled syrup over it. Let stand overnight so syrup can be completely absorbed. Using a sharp knife, cut through each piece completely.
8. Remove the baklava slices with a fork to paper cupcake cups. Store no more than several weeks at room temperature. Baklava does not retain its crispness if stored in the refrigerator.
Calories 763 Calories from Fat 442
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 50 g76.3%
Saturated Fat 12.4 g61.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 40.6 mg13.5%
Sodium 141.2 mg5.9%
Total Carbohydrates 72 g23.9%
Dietary Fiber 6.4 g25.5%
Sugars 50.1 g
Protein 11 g23%
Vitamin A 9.5% Vitamin C 0.38%
Calcium 5.2% Iron 13.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet