Stuffed Grape Leaves
|Grape leaves||1 Quart|
|Lean ground lamb/Ground beef||2 Pound|
|Raw rice||1 Cup (16 tbs), washed and drained|
|Ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Onion||1 Small, grated|
|Onions||3 Large, sliced|
|Canned tomatoes||2 Quart|
1. Wash the grape leaves thoroughly in cold water to remove the salt.
2. Mix the meat with the rice, pepper, thyme, oregano and grated onion.
3. In a large kettle heat the butter, add the sliced onions and cook until transparent. Add half the tomatoes and heat.
4. Stuff the grape leaves (not too tightly) with the meat mixture, using about one tablespoon of the mixture for each leaf. Shape each into a neat package and place gently in the hot tomato sauce.
5. Heat the remaining tomatoes and pour over the top. Cover and simmer forty-five minutes to one hour.