Classic Moussaka A La Turque
|Salad oil||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Hot water||6 Tablespoon|
|Flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Minced onion||3 Tablespoon|
|Chopped mushrooms||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Minced parsley||2 Tablespoon|
|Diced tomatoes||2 Medium (1 1/2 Cups)|
|Cooked lamb||1 Cup (16 tbs), ground or diced|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
1. Cut three of the eggplants into halves lengthwise. Run a sharp pointed stainless steel knife around the inside of the skins, separating them from the pulp. Score the pulp deeply, cutting almost through but being careful not to pierce the skin
2. In a large skillet heat two tablespoons of the oil, add two eggplant halves, cut side down, and cook one minute. Combine one teaspoon of the lemon juice with two tablespoons of the hot water and add. Cover and cook over medium heat ten minutes. Remove from the pan and scoop out the pulp, leaving the skins intact. Place the pulp in a bowl and reserve. Repeat the process, using the remaining eggplant halves.
3. Peel the fourth eggplant and cut into slices one-half inch thick. Coat the slices lightly with flour and brown on both sides in the remaining oil, adding two tablespoons at a time.
4. Preheat oven to moderate (375° F.).
5. In a skillet heat the butter, add the garlic, onion and mushrooms and saute until the onion is transparent. Combine the mixture with the cooked eggplant pulp. Stir in the parsley, tomatoes, lamb, salt, pepper and eggs.
6. Line an oiled two-quart charlotte mold or casserole with the eggplant skins, having the purple exterior next to the sides of the mold and extending over the edge. Place a one-inch layer of eggplant-and-lamb mixture in the bottom of the mold. Over this place a layer of fried eggplant slices. Repeat until the mold is filled, ending with a layer of the mixture.
7. Bring the skins, which extend over the side of the mold, toward the center. If the skins are not long enough to cover the top, place a piece of foil over the uncovered portion.
8. Place the mold in a pan of hot water and bake one and one-half hours. Remove from the oven and let stand ten minutes.