Country Meat Loaf
|Bacon||3⁄4 Pound, sliced, boiled 10 minutes|
|Unsweetened butter||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Ground pork||1 Pound|
|Ground veal||1⁄2 Pound|
|Chicken livers||1⁄2 Pound, finely chopped|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), crushed|
|Ground cloves||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄8 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||2 , beaten|
|Heavy cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Boiled ham||1⁄2 Pound, cut into strips 1/4 inch thick|
1. Preheat oven moderate to 350°
2. Arrange bacon in a 2-quart mold, casserole, or 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan. Reserve 3 slices for the top.
3. In a small pan melt butter. Add onion and cook until tender.
4. In a 2-quart bowl add onion, ground meats, liver, seasonings, eggs, cream, and sherry. Mix well.
5. Beat for few minutes to lighten.
6. Spoon 1/3 of mixture into mold.
7. Arrange 1/2 ham over meat mixture.
8. Add more 1/3 meat mixture and ham, ending with meat mixture.
9. Place 3 bacon strips over loaf.
10. Put bay leaf on top.
11. Seal tightly with aluminum foil and a lid.
12. Keep in a hot-water bath.
13. Bake in oven for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
14. Keep a weight on top of loaf.
15. Let the loaf cool at room temperature.
16. Refrigerate overnight.
17. Serve the loaf chilled.