Meat Loaf with Shiitake Mushrooms
Green peppercorns - 2 teaspoons
Hot water - 2/3 cup
Ground pork - 3/4 pound
Onion - 1, chopped
Fresh mushrooms - 1/4 pound, chopped
Fine dry breadcrumbs - 1/2 cup
Quick-cooking oats - 1/4 cup, uncooked
Egg - 1, lightly beaten
Fresh parsley - 3 tablespoons, chopped
Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
Worcestershire sauce - 1 tablespoon
Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
Pepper - 1/8 teaspoon
Vegetable cooking spray
1) Preheat oven to temperature of 375 degrees.
2) In hot water, soak the shiitake mushrooms and peppercorns for about 15 minutes and then drain. Reserve the liquid.
3) Chop the drained vegetables coarsely and set aside.
4) In a small saucepan, put the reserved liquid and cook till it has been reduced by half. Set aside.
5) In a large bowl, combine together the ground chuck and all the remaining ingredients, except for the cooking spray. Stir well.
6) Add the reserved mushrooms liquid and peppercorns. Mix well.
7) Form the mixture into a loaf of 7 1/2x4 ½ - inches.
8) On a broiler pan coated with the cooking spray, place the loaf.
9) Bake in the preheated oven, uncovered for about 45 minutes, till the meat is no longer pink.
10) Place the loaf on a decorative serving plate and serve while still hot.