Mushroom Meat Loaf
|Minced pork||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Minced lean beef||1 Pound (450 Gram)|
|Onion||1 , finely chopped|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), finely chopped|
|Finely chopped mushrooms||8 Ounce (225 Gram)|
|Fresh white breadcrumbs||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Dry white wine||5 Tablespoon|
|Egg||1 , lightly beaten|
|Grated nutmeg||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Soured cream||5 Fluid Ounce (1 Carton Of 142 Milliliter)|
|Beef stock||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Sliced tomatoes||1 (To Finish)|
|Sliced gherkins||1 (To Finish)|
1) Heat the oven to 200°C, 400°F, Gas Mark 6.
2) In a large bowl, add the pork, beef onion, garlic, mushrooms and breadcrumbs and mix well.
3) In a bowl, add wine, egg, salt, pepper, nutmeg and breadcrumbs and beat well to make a stiff mixture and shape into a loaf.
4) In a roasting pan, place the loaf and top with cream.
5) Place in oven to cook meat and roast for 40-50 minutes, till a light crust is formed, basting occasionally.
6) When done, remove the loaf and place in a deep foil container.
7) Add some stock to the roasting pan and heat on low, stirring constantly.
8) When well heated, strain and pour the stock on the loaf.
9) To freeze for up to 6 weeks, cool and wrap in foil.
10) To serve hot, place wrapped loaf in a dish and place in oven at 220°C, 425°F. Gas Mark 7 for 20 minutes, and then lower heat to 190°C. 375°F, Gas Mark 5 and bake for 30-40 minutes more till the loaf is thoroughly heated.
11) During the last 15 minutes of heating, open the wrapping to allow crisping on the top.
12) To serve loaf cold, without unwrapping, allow to thaw overnight in the refrigerator, or 5-6 hours at room temperature.
13) Garnish with tomato slices and gherkins.
14) Can be served with crusty bread, soured cream, coleslaw, and potato salad.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2559 Calories from Fat 1309
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 146 g224.8%
Saturated Fat 60.7 g303.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 741.9 mg247.3%
Sodium 2182.5 mg90.9%
Total Carbohydrates 94 g31.5%
Dietary Fiber 9.6 g38.4%
Sugars 25.4 g
Protein 199 g397.9%
Vitamin A 44.4% Vitamin C 60.9%
Calcium 62.9% Iron 108%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet