Pimiento Veal Loaf
|Ground veal||2 Pound|
|Fine dry bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped to make 1/2 cup|
|Chopped pimiento stuffed olives||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Tomato juice||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Lemon juice||2 Tablespoon|
|Whole pimientos||8 Ounce, drained (2 Cans / Jars 4 Ounces Each)|
|Butter/Margarine||4 Tablespoon (1/2 Stick)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Instant chicken broth/1 teaspoon granulated chicken bouillon||1 Ounce (1 Envelope)|
|Salad seasoning||1 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Dry sherry||2 Tablespoon|
1) Preheat oven to 350°F before baking.
2) Carefully make a slit lengthwise in each pimiento at sides to form two pieces.
3) Take a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan and line it with a greased foil, allowing a 1-inch overhang all around.
4) In a large bowl, mix together veal, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, onion, olives, egg, 1/2 cup of the tomato juice, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
5) With insides up, place pimiento pieces over bottom and slightly up sides of pan. Ensure to cover entire bottom of pan with pimiento to form a petal effect on sides.
6) Into the pan, pack gently the meat mixture and bake for 1 hour and 5 minutes in preheated oven until lightly brown on top.
7) Loosen loaf from pan by lifting up on foil and then cover the pan using a heated serving platter.
8) Invert the loaf upside down and slide off the foil after removing the loaf from pan.
9) In a medium-size saucepan, melt butter or margarine and then mix in flour, chicken broth, and salad seasoning.
10) Stir cook the mixture until bubbly and pour in remaining 1 cup tomato juice, water, and sherry.
11) Thicken the sauce by cooking and stirring for 1 minute.
12) Serve the loaf in squares with sauce.
Calories 690 Calories from Fat 318
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 36 g54.8%
Saturated Fat 17.3 g86.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 284.8 mg94.9%
Sodium 1904.7 mg79.4%
Total Carbohydrates 35 g11.6%
Dietary Fiber 3.1 g12.5%
Sugars 9.1 g
Protein 56 g112%
Vitamin A 50.2% Vitamin C 119.8%
Calcium 28.5% Iron 26%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet