Meat Loaf Surprise
|All purpose potatoes||1 1⁄2 Pound, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces (3 Large Size)|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Salt||1 1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Ground black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Canned diced tomatoes||14 1⁄2 Ounce (1 Can)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground beef chuck||2 Pound|
|Seasoned dried bread crumbs||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Freshly grated parmesan cheese||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Frozen chopped spinach||10 Ounce, thawed and squeezed dry (1 Package)|
1. In 3-quart saucepan, combine potatoes and enough water to cover; heat to boiling over high heat. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until potatoes are fork-tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain potatoes and return to saucepan. Add milk, butter, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. With potato masher, mash potatoes until mixture is smooth; set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F In blender or in food processor with knife blade attached, puree tomatoes with their juice and water until smooth.
3. In large bowl, mix ground beef, eggs, bread crumbs, Parmesan, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 cup tomato mixture until well combined but not overmixed.
4. On 14" by 12" sheet of waxed paper, pat meat mixture into 11" by 9" rectangle. Spread mashed potatoes over meat rectangle leaving 1-inch border all around. Spoon spinach over potatoes; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
5. Starting at a narrow end, roll up layered meat mixture jelly-roll fashion, lifting waxed paper and using long metal spatula to help loosen meat from waxed paper. Carefully place rolled meat loaf, seam side down, in 13" by 9" baking dish.
6. Pour remaining tomato mixture over and around meat loaf. Bake 1 hour 15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes to set juices for easier slicing.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3581 Calories from Fat 1963
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 218 g335.9%
Saturated Fat 106.1 g530.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1081 mg360.3%
Sodium 5226 mg217.8%
Total Carbohydrates 202 g67.5%
Dietary Fiber 31.6 g126.2%
Sugars 13 g
Protein 222 g443.5%
Vitamin A 619.7% Vitamin C 424.2%
Calcium 106.6% Iron 172.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet