Party Meat Loaf
|Meat loaf mixture||3 Pound|
|Soft white bread crumbs||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Shredded swiss cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Finely chopped dill pickle||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dill pickle juice||3 Tablespoon|
|Canned evaporated milk||12 Fluid Ounce (1 Tall Can)|
|Sifted all purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Vegetable shortening||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Pan gravy||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Rich)|
1. Combine the meat-loaf mixture, bread crumbs, cheese, dill pickle and juice, 2 teaspoons of the salt, pepper and 1 1/3 cups of the evaporated milk in a large bowl. (Reserve remaining salt and milk for pastry.) Beat eggs in a small bowl. (Reserve 2 tablespoons of beaten egg for pastry.) Add remaining beaten egg to mixture.
2. Mix meat mixture (fingers are best) until very smooth and almost pastelike in consistency. Then shape into a 12x5x2-inch loaf; place in a jelly-roll pan.
3. Bake in moderate oven (375°) 1 hour, or until top is a rich brown. Cool meat loaf completely in pan on wire rack.
4. Sift flour and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt into a medium-size bowl; cut in shortening with pastry blender or fork till the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle with remaining 1/3 cup evaporated milk, one tablespoon at a time. Mix lightly with a fork just until pastry holds together and leaves sides of bowl clean.
5. Roll out the pastry to a 15-inch square on a lightly floured pastry board or cloth. Lay pastry over rolling pin and transfer to a large cookie sheet.
6. Loosen the meat loaf on pan and transfer, with two spatulas, to center of pastry. (Reserve pan drippings for making gravy.) Bring the pastry up to cover meat at center top. Trim off excess pastry and reserve. Press pastry firmly to seal at center of loaf and at ends.
7. Make an egg wash by combining reserved beaten egg and 2 tablespoons of water in a cup; brush part over pastry. Roll pastry trimmings and cut with tiny fancy cutters. Arrange in a pattern on loaf and brush with part of the remaining egg wash.
8. Bake in hot oven (425°) brushing once with the remaining egg wash, 15 minutes, or until pastry is golden.
Calories 387 Calories from Fat 230
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 26 g39.6%
Saturated Fat 8.6 g43.2%
Trans Fat 1 g
Cholesterol 109.5 mg36.5%
Sodium 544.1 mg22.7%
Total Carbohydrates 17 g5.7%
Dietary Fiber 0.59 g2.4%
Sugars 2.5 g
Protein 26 g51.6%
Vitamin A 3% Vitamin C 0.74%
Calcium 11.7% Iron 6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet