Wegmans Spicy Chicken Meatballs & Sauce
|For the sauce|
|Olive oil||1 Tablespoon (Wegmans)|
|Red onion||1 Cup (16 tbs), thinly sliced|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced (Food You Feel Good About Cleaned & Cut Peeled)|
|Shallot||1 , minced (Food You Feel Good About Cleaned & Cut Peeled)|
|Red wine||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whole peeled tomatoes||28 Ounce (1 can Italian Classics Whole Peeled San Marzano Tomatoes)|
|Roma tomatoes||2 Large, chopped finely|
|Chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce||1 Tablespoon (sauce only)|
|Thyme sprigs||12 (Food You Feel Good About Fresh)|
|Rosemary sprigs||2 (Food You Feel Good About Fresh)|
|For the meatballs|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced (Food You Feel Good About Peeled)|
|Ground chicken||2 Pound (Food You Feel Good About Fresh Organic)|
|Lean ground veal||1 Pound (Wegmans 85% Lean Fresh Ground Veal)|
|Thyme||1 Teaspoon, chopped finely (Food You Feel Good About Fresh)|
|Italian parsley||2 Tablespoon, chopped finely (Food You Feel Good About Fresh)|
|Roasted tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs), diced|
|Chipotle chili pepper in adobo sauce||1 Tablespoon, minced (only peppers)|
|Eggs||2 Large (Wegmans)|
|Panko bread crumbs||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Wegmans)|
To make the sauce -
1.Heat olive oil in pot on medium; add onion. Cook, about 5 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and shallot; cook 2-3 minutes until softened.
2. Add wine then increase heat to medium high. Simmer about 5 minutes, until reduced to about 1 Tbsp.
3. Add canned and fresh tomatoes, adobo sauce, thyme, and rosemary. Give a good stir then reduce heat to low, cover pan and simmer gently for 1 hour. Stir occasionally.
4. When the sauce is done, remove herb sprigs and puree the sauce with a handheld blender until smooth. Add salt to taste. You can make this sauce in advance and refrigerate or freeze it.
To make Meatballs -
5. While the sauce is simmering, you can prepare the meatballs. Start by preheating the oven to 450 degrees F.
6. Heat olive oil in small pan on medium then add shallot and garlic. Cook about 2 minutes, until softened. Take off heat and set aside to cool.
7. In a large mixing bowl, combine ground chicken, veal, thyme, parsley, tomatoes, peppers, eggs, shallot-garlic mixture, and panko breadcrumbs. Mix until well-combined. Season with salt.
8. Form meatballs by cupping about 3 tablespoon meat mixture in clean hands and rolling until smooth. Arrange on a baking sheet, about 1 1/2-inches apart. (The recipe makes approximately 36 meatballs.)
9. Bake meatballs for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, until slightly brown. The inside should remain raw. You can also saute the meatballs in a large pan if you do not have an oven.
10 Once the sauce is prepared, add meatballs to simmering sauce on low, in small stockpot.
11. Cook gently, stirring occasionally to coat with sauce, until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. Check by inserting thermometer halfway into thickest part of meatball, This takes about 25-30 minutes.
12. Serve the Spicy Chicken Meatballs over pasta or rice. You can also serve it with a spaghetti squash gratin. Garnish the meatballs with fresh parsley, basil or rosemary.
13. Leftover meatballs and sauce also makes a great filling for subs.
Calories 266 Calories from Fat 99
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 11 g17%
Saturated Fat 3.2 g16.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 131.3 mg43.8%
Sodium 329 mg13.7%
Total Carbohydrates 13 g4.4%
Dietary Fiber 2 g8.1%
Sugars 4.6 g
Protein 24 g48.7%
Vitamin A 22.1% Vitamin C 31.7%
Calcium 5.9% Iron 9.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet