This is one of my favorite dishes and one that my kids always request. The secret is to brown the meatballs in olive oil and let them finish cooking in the sauce. Make the sauce first and when the meatballs are browned just add them to the sauce along with the pan drippings. Yum. This is a dish that takes more than 15 minutes so it's good to make a lot and freeze. Remember to defrost before re-heating. When you cook for yourself you can Save Money, Eat Healthier, Live Greener and Have Fun!
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)
5 , slice
2 Cup (32 tbs)
4 , chop
1 Can (10 oz)
1 Can (10 oz)
4 Tablespoon (Preferably red wine)
2 Cup (32 tbs), cooked
1. In a bowl, add the ground meat, egg, salt, pepper and breadcrumbs and mix well with hands.
2. Next, roll the meat into balls of same size. Don't over-roll the meatballs else it'll lose it's moisture.
3. In a pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil and add the meat balls into the pan to brown for 5-8 minutes.
4. For the tomato sauce: In another pan, heat 4 tablespoons of olive oil and add sliced garlic and stir.
5. Add tomatoes into the pan and stir.
6. Add tomato paste, water and wine.
7. Next, add basil and a dash of pepper and salt and stir and put the lid on for 4-5 minutes.
8. Next, add the meatballs and the olive oil from that pan into the tomato sauce and bring to boil.
9. Simmer for 20 minutes and turn off the stove. Let sit for another 20 minutes.
10. Plate the pasta and add the meatballs in tomato sauce over and garnish with basil or cheese.