Cheese Stuffed Meatballs a la Pizzaiola
|Mozzarella cheese||8 Ounce (Fat-Free)|
|Shallot||1 Large (Chopped)|
|Sun-dried tomatoes||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (in oil, drained)|
|Fresh basil||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (leaves)|
|Shredded mozzarella cheese||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (Fat-free)|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon|
|Tomato paste||1 Tablespoon (no salt added)|
|Red pepper flakes||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Sea salt||1⁄2 Teaspoon (hickory smoked)|
|Ground beef||2 Pound (Extra Lean (95% Lean))|
|Ground pork||1⁄2 Pound|
|Onion||3 Tablespoon (grated)|
|Marinara sauce||1 Cup (16 tbs) (warmed, optional for serving)|
|Kosher salt||1 Pinch|
|Pepper||1 Pinch (freshly ground)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Dice the mozzarella brick into 1/2-inch cubes. Set aside.
2. In a food processor, pulse the shallots, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, shredded mozzarella, parmesan, tomato paste, red pepper flakes, smoked salt, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper until blended. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
3. Add the beef, pork and onion and mix until combined. Form into 1 – 1 1/4-inch meatballs. Insert 1 cube mozzarella into the center of each meatball and form the meat around it, enclosing the cheese.
1. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Place meatballs on tray and spray meatballs with cooking spray.
3. Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes, or until cooked through.
Cool slightly, then serve immediately with marinara sauce, if desired.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 4404 Calories from Fat 3228
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 360 g554.1%
Saturated Fat 146 g729.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1038.4 mg346.1%
Sodium 4505.5 mg187.7%
Total Carbohydrates 36 g11.9%
Dietary Fiber 6.4 g25.7%
Sugars 16.1 g
Protein 264 g528.9%
Vitamin A 57.1% Vitamin C 29.3%
Calcium 174.3% Iron 74.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet