This recipe has been one of my most popular – both on the internet and here at home. When it came time for me to choose what video to do first, this was a no brainer. One of the first foods I thought of when I found out about my having celiac was spaghetti and meatballs. Hey – I’m Italian. I can’t help it! I took this Giada de Laurentiis recipe and modified it to cut out a lot of the fat and calories. It’s also naturally gluten-free so we GFers can be part of the gang!
8 Ounce (Fat-Free)
1 Large (Chopped)
1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (in oil, drained)
1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (leaves)
Shredded mozzarella cheese
1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (Fat-free)
Grated parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon (no salt added)
Red pepper flakes
1⁄2 Teaspoon (hickory smoked)
2 Pound (Extra Lean (95% Lean))
3 Tablespoon (grated)
1 Cup (16 tbs) (warmed, optional for serving)
1 Pinch (freshly ground)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Dice the mozzarella brick into 1/2-inch cubes. Set aside.
2. In a food processor, pulse the shallots, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, shredded mozzarella, parmesan, tomato paste, red pepper flakes, smoked salt, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper until blended. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
3. Add the beef, pork and onion and mix until combined. Form into 1 – 1 1/4-inch meatballs. Insert 1 cube mozzarella into the center of each meatball and form the meat around it, enclosing the cheese.
1. Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Place meatballs on tray and spray meatballs with cooking spray.
3. Bake in oven for 10-12 minutes, or until cooked through.
Cool slightly, then serve immediately with marinara sauce, if desired.