Meatball over Spaghetti
|Spaghetti||600 Gram (Fresh Ones)|
|Lean minced beef||250 Gram|
|Plain white flour||100 Gram|
|Tomatoes||10 Ounce (1 Tin)|
|Onion||1 Medium, finely sliced|
|Garlic cloves||2 , crushed|
|Red wine||125 Milliliter (Half A Glass)|
|Olive oil||4 Tablespoon|
|Basil||1 Cup (16 tbs), finely chopped|
|Grated cheese||2 Tablespoon (Parmesan / Cheddar)|
1. Blend contents of tinned tomatoes into a smooth consistency.
You do not have to use a blender; we prefer using a masher as it is much quicker and saves creating unnecessary mess.
2. In a large bowl, mix well the minced beef, a whole egg and basil together using your hands. Season with salt (to taste).
3. Take a small handful of the mixture and in your hand roll it into a ball (about the size of half a golf ball).
Dust the ball in flour and put to one side. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
4. In a large pan, gently sauté the onions in olive oil until soft. Add the mashed down tin of tomatoes to the onions. Season with crushed black pepper (to taste).
5. Add the meatballs to a new pan and gently fry in olive oil on a medium heat until golden brown. Make sure balls are browned evenly by gently stirring balls around from time to time.
6. Once meat balls have browned add the half cup of red wine and let simmer for a minute.
7. Add the meat balls and the wine sauce to the pan containing the tomatoes and onions and simmer for approximately 10-14 minutes until the meat balls have cooked through.
Check meatballs are cooked by gently inspecting one of the meatballs with a knife and fork, if there is no pink in the middle of meatball then they require no further cooking.
8. Cook the pasta in boiling, salted water until al dente.
9. Drain pasta and according to preference either:
Add the pasta to the sauce and stir through
Serve meat balls and sauce on top of a bed of pasta.
10. Serve with freshly grated parmesan or cheddar.
Calories 981 Calories from Fat 256
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 29 g44.5%
Saturated Fat 7.6 g37.8%
Trans Fat 0.5 g
Cholesterol 98.2 mg32.7%
Sodium 292.7 mg12.2%
Total Carbohydrates 141 g47.1%
Dietary Fiber 2.5 g10.2%
Sugars 4.3 g
Protein 43 g85.3%
Vitamin A 20% Vitamin C 24.1%
Calcium 19.4% Iron 48.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet