Meat Ball Stew With Dumplings
|Ground beef||1 Pound|
|Onion||1 Medium, chopped|
|Parsley||6 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Soft bread crumbs||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dry mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Tomato juice||18 Ounce (1 Pint, 2 Ounce Size Can)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic||1 Clove (5 gm), minced|
|Chili powder||1 Teaspoon|
|White onions||12 Small, peeled|
|Carrots||12 Small, pared and cut in 2-inch pieces|
|Biscuit mix||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Milk||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Frozen lima beans||10 Ounce (1 Package)|
1. Mix ground beef lightly with chopped onion, 4 tablespoons of the parsley, egg, bread crumbs, 1 teaspoon of the salt, 1/8 teaspoon of the pepper and mustard until well-blended; shape into 36 balls.
2. Brown, half at a time, in hot oil in a kettle or Dutch oven; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Pour off all drippings.
3. Combine tomato juice, water, garlic, bay leaf, chili powder and remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in same kettle; heat to boiling. Add white onions and carrots; cover. Simmer for 30 minutes.
4. While vegetables cook, mix biscuit mix with remaining 2 tablespoons parsley; add milk all at once; stir lightly just until flour is moistened.
5. Return meat balls to kettle; add lima beans; heat to boiling. Drop dumpling mixture in 6 mounds on top.
6. Cook, uncovered, about 10 minutes; cover; cook 10 minutes longer, or until dumplings are fluffy-light. Remove bay leaf before serving.