Pernio Alla Veneziana
|Olive oil||3 Tablespoon|
|Onions||5 Ounce, thinly sliced|
|Sage leaves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Calf liver slices||1 Pound (wafer thin)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Wine vinegar||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped fresh parsley||2 Tablespoon|
1. In a kitchen paper place liver strips on it, to pat it dry.
2. Season strips with salt and a few grindings of pepper.
3. In a heavy frying pan, heat 1 ½ tablespoons of oil.
4. Add onions to oil.
5. Cook onions over moderate heat, stirring frequently, for 7 to 8 minutes.
6. Add sage to the mixture, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes longer, until the onions are limp and lightly coloured.
7. Put the pan aside, off the heat.
8. In another large, heavy frying pan heat rest of the oil.
9. In the oil drop liver slices slowly.
10. Saute them, turning frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes, until they are lightly browned on all sides.
11. Stir in the onions.
12. Cook onions with the liver for 1 to 2 minutes.
13. Take a heated dish and transfer liver and onions to it.
14. In the frying pan, immediately pour the white wine vinegar.
15. Boil this mixture briskly for a minute or two, meanwhile scraping in any browned bits clinging to the pan.
16. Pour the sauce over the liver and onions.
17. Serve Pernio Alla veneziana immediately with parsley garnish.
Calories 274 Calories from Fat 148
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.6%
Saturated Fat 1.6 g7.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 376 mg125.3%
Sodium 191.2 mg8%
Total Carbohydrates 8 g2.7%
Dietary Fiber 0.92 g3.7%
Sugars 1.6 g
Protein 25 g49.3%
Vitamin A 888.9% Vitamin C 21.2%
Calcium 2% Iron 43.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet