Kidney d' Amour
|Sheep kidneys/1 1/2 ox kidneys||9|
|Flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), seasoned (Or As Required)|
|Onion||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Stock/1 1/2 cups water and soup cube||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Mixed mustard||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon|
|Eggs||3 Small, scrambled|
|Salt||1⁄4 Teaspoon (For Eggs)|
|Pepper||1 Dash (For Eggs)|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Parsley sprigs||3 (A Few)|
1) Remove the bacon rind and slice the bacon rashers into 2-3 pieces.
2) Roll up each piece of bacon rasher and secure with cocktail picks.
3) Immerse the kidneys in lukewarm water for 30 minutes.
4) Drain thoroughly, pat dry, remove and discard the white tubes and slice the kidneys.
5) Dredge the sliced kidney with the seasoned flour.
6) In a skillet, saute the bacon until the fat is clear, then remove with a slotted spoon and keep aside.
7) In the skillet drippings, lightly saute the kidney slices.
8) Stir in the chopped onion and saute for another 3 minutes.
9) Then add the stock, salt and pepper to taste, mustard, lemon juice and sugar.
10) Stir and bring to a boil, then simmer, covered for about 40 minutes.
11) Add the sherry or port, and thicken the liquid with a little blended flour, if needed.
12) In a pan, scramble the eggs with the salt, pepper, milk and chopped parsley.
13) Spoon the kidney mixture on a hot serving dish and surround with the scrambled egg.
14) Garnish the Kidney d' Amour with the bacon rolls and some parsley sprigs and serve hot.