Saute De Pigeonneaux Aux Oignons Confits
|Pigeons giblets and trimmings||1|
|Onion||1 , sliced|
|Carrot||1 , sliced|
|Water||3⁄4 Pint (450 Milliliter)|
|Baby onions||2 Pound, peeled (1 Kilogram)|
|Butter||1 1⁄2 Ounce (40 Gram)|
|Sugar||2 1⁄2 Ounce (65 Gram)|
1. Use a sharp knife to cut the birds in half along the breastbone.
2. Remove the backbone and trim off wingtips, reserving the giblets.
3. In a pan, heat oil and saute giblets, backbones and wingtips until they turn light brown.
4. Further, add onion and carrot and brown them thoroughly.
5. Then, add bouquet garni, water and a little salt and pepper and boil the mixture.
6. Simmer for about 1 hour or until liquid is reduced to half.
7. Strain and reserve.
8. In a saucepan, mix onions with water, butter and 2 tablespoons sugar for making caramelized onions.
9. Boil and simmer until the water has evaporated and onions are tender. This will take about 20-25 minutes.
10. In a saute pan, add onions and sprinkle remaining sugar over them. Cook over brisk heat until the sugar caramelizes. Keep stirring constantly to cook the onions evenly.
11. Cool them until dark brown and soft.
12. In a saute pan, heat oil and butter to saute pigeons until foaming.
13. In a large pan, add pigeon halves with their skin side down and season to taste.
14. Cover the lid and saute over medium flame until browned or for about 10-15 minutes.
15. Turn birds, cook after adding half the stock. Pink meat will be done in 5 minutes, while well done meat will take 10-15 minutes.
16. Remove pigeon from the pan and keep warm.
17. In the pan, add leftover stock to pan and boil, stirring continually to dissolve pan juices.
18. In a saucepan, strain it and skim off excess fat. Add seasoning to taste and reheat.
19. Meanwhile, reheat the onions too.
20. On a serving dish, arrange pigeon on one side and onions on the other.
21. Pour some gravy over pigeon and serve at once.
22. The leftover gravy must be served separately.