Pot Au Feu Paysanne
Beef - 2 lb/1 kg, on the bone
Meaty piece of beef - 2 lb/1 kg
Onions - 2, each studded with a clove
Carrots - 2
Celery - 1 stick
Large Bouquet Garni
Peppercorns - 2 teaspoons
Marrow Bones - 2 lb/1 kg
Water - 4 qt/5 litres
Very fine noodles - 3/4 lb/125 g or French bread - 1 small loaf, toasted croutes
For the vegetables
Medium Onions - 1 lb/500 g
Carrots - 1 lb/500 g
Turnips - 1 lb/500 g
Leeks - 1 lb/500 g
Celery - 1 head
1. Use a string to tie each piece of meat into a neat cylinder to cook it evenly.
2. Tie clove-studded onions, carrots, stick of celery, bouquet garni and peppercorns in a cheesecloth.
3. Wrap each marrow bone in a muslin bag so that it does not fall out.
3. In a pot, add all meat except marrow bones. Also, place the muslin bag of vegetables, water and salt.
4. Cover the lid and boil slowly, skimming often.
5. Simmer for about 2 hours, skimming occasionally.
6. For prparing vegetables, begin with peeling and cutting onions in halves.
7. Then, peel carrots, cut in 3 in/7 cm lengths and tie in bundles.
8. Peel and quarter turnips.
9. Trim and split leeks. Wash them thoroughly before tieing them in bundles.
10. Peel outer stalks of celery to remove strings. Then, cut in 3 in/7 cm lengths and tie in bundles.
11. After 2 hours of cooking, add marrow bones to pot along with onions and carrots.
12. After simmering for another 30 minutes, add turnips, leeks and celery.
13. Add enough water to cover vegetables, if required.
14. Add seasoning to taste and simmer until meats and vegetables are very tender, skimming often. This will take 30-40 minutes.
15. Toast croutes.
16. Lift out meats, marrow bones and vegetables.
17. Further, boil the broth, uncovered, until to reduce its quntity and blend the flavors well. This will take about 15 minutes.
18. On a serving plate, arrange vegetables in mounds, discarding the strings.
19. Set marrow bones on teh edges.
20. Cover tightly with foil and keep warm.
21. Discard strings from meats and carve in slices.
22. In the middle of teh serving plate, arrange these slices and keep warm.
23. Discard muslin bag of vegetables from broth.
24. Simmer noodles for 5 minutes and add them in the dish.
25. Add seasoning to broth, if required and then spoon into serving bowls.
26. Serve croutes separately.
27. Later, serve meat and vegetables as the main course.