Game Hens Perugino
|Carrots||4 , 3 sliced in half lengthwise and 1 grated|
|Oranges||2 , 1 juiced plus grated peel and 1 quartered|
|Onions||2 , 1 chopped and 1 quartered|
|Chopped fresh rosemary||3 Teaspoon (3 Sprigs)|
|Ripe tomatoes/1, 15 ounce can in sauce||6 , diced|
|Bacon strip||2 , chopped|
|Green peppercorns in vinegar||1 Teaspoon|
1) Wash hens and pat dry on paper towels.
2) In a roasting pan, layer the base with carrot slices and place hens over.
3) Into each hen, add 2 pieces of orange, 2 pieces of onion, add 1 teaspoon or sprig of rosemary.
4) Place in oven at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes.
5) Using pan drippings, baste the hens at least twice during the baking process.
6) In a pan, add bacon and heat well.
7) Add in chopped onion and cook till just tender.
8) Mix in grated carrot, the remaining rosemary, orange juice and peel, tomatoes, and peppercorns.
9) Heat till the mix bubbles, then lower heat and gently simmer till hens are baked through.
10) Arrange hens on serving plate and surround by sauce.