Game Hens Perugino
|Carrots||4 , 3 sliced in half lengthwise and 1 grated|
|Oranges||2 , 1 juiced plus grated peel and 1 quartered|
|Onions||2 , 1 chopped and 1 quartered|
|Chopped fresh rosemary||3 Teaspoon (3 Sprigs)|
|Ripe tomatoes/1, 15 ounce can in sauce||6 , diced|
|Bacon strip||2 , chopped|
|Green peppercorns in vinegar||1 Teaspoon|
1) Wash hens and pat dry on paper towels.
2) In a roasting pan, layer the base with carrot slices and place hens over.
3) Into each hen, add 2 pieces of orange, 2 pieces of onion, add 1 teaspoon or sprig of rosemary.
4) Place in oven at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes.
5) Using pan drippings, baste the hens at least twice during the baking process.
6) In a pan, add bacon and heat well.
7) Add in chopped onion and cook till just tender.
8) Mix in grated carrot, the remaining rosemary, orange juice and peel, tomatoes, and peppercorns.
9) Heat till the mix bubbles, then lower heat and gently simmer till hens are baked through.
10) Arrange hens on serving plate and surround by sauce.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3630 Calories from Fat 1573
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 175 g268.8%
Saturated Fat 49.7 g248.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1148.7 mg382.9%
Sodium 1673.4 mg69.7%
Total Carbohydrates 118 g39.4%
Dietary Fiber 30.3 g121.2%
Sugars 71.7 g
Protein 383 g766%
Vitamin A 962.8% Vitamin C 457.9%
Calcium 68.2% Iron 192.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet