Pork Meats And Kraut
|Smoked bacon slices||1⁄2 Pound, skin cut off|
|Bacon drippings/Lard||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Carrots||2 , finely sliced|
|Sauerkraut||2 1⁄2 Pound (Homemade / Canned, Drained)|
|German boiling sausages||1⁄2 Pound|
|Pork spareribs||1 Pound, separated|
|Frankfurters||8 Small (Chipolata Sizes)|
|Onions||2 , each stuck with 2 cloves|
|Herb bundle||1 (Including 12 Juniper Berries)|
|Dry white wine||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Vegetable stock||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Caraway seeds/Dill seeds||1 Teaspoon (For Garnish)|
|Boiled potatoes||2 (Serve Hot)|
1. Blanch bacon slices in boiling water 3 minutes. Drain.
2. Grease with 1/4 cup bacon fat or lard a large flameproof casserole which will hold all the ingredients.
3. Combine carrots and drained sauerkraut, and layer half the mixture evenly in the casserole.
4. Cover with the bacon slices, boiling sausage (pricked), and the spareribs and 'franks'.
5. Layer the rest of the sauerkraut-carrot mixture evenly on top, tucking the herb bundle in the layer.
6. Add the onions, and the remaining bacon fat or lard in small dabs.
7. Pour in the wine and stock.
8. Cover the casserole tightly with greased foil and a lid.
9. Simmer on the stove (or bake at 325°F) for 2 1/2 hours.
10. Remove from the heat, and discard herb bundle and onions.
11. Take out all the meats; slice the boiling sausage.
12. Pile the sauerkraut on a warmed platter.
13. Arrange the sliced meats, spareribs and 'franks' in a decorative pattern on top. Sprinkle with caraway or dill seeds.
14. Serve with the potatoes.