|Unsalted butter||4 Tablespoon|
|Button mushrooms||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Tomato puree||1 Tablespoon|
|Port/Dry sherry||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Black pepper||To Taste|
|Parsley||1 Tablespoon (For Garnish)|
1) Peel the onions and thinly slice them.
2) In a large skillet, melt the butter and add the onions.
3) With a lid, cover the pan and cook for about 7 minutes over low heat.
4) From around the kidneys, remove the skirt and cut the kidneys into half. With scissors, snip out the white cores.
5) Wash the kidneys and on paper towels, pat them dry. Cut them into chunks measuring about 1 inch.
6) Trim the mushrooms and cut them in half. Add them, along with the kidneys, to the skillet. Quickly sauté for 3 minutes.
7) Use port or sherry to blend the tomato puree.
8) Add the puree to the kidneys and season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
9) Bring the heat down and cook gently over low heat for about 10 minutes.
10) On a hot serving dish, arrange the kidneys and sauce. Garnish with parsley sprigs.
11) Serve hot with rice or buttered noodles.