|Collard||4 Pound (Fresh)|
|Bacon slab/Meaty country ham bone||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Enough To Cover)|
1) Trim the large stems, if any, and throw them away.
2) Rinse the collards in various changes of cold water so that all the sand is thoroughly removed.
3) Chop the leaves into strips coarsely.
4) Combine together the leaves with either the bacon or the ham bone and add just enough water to cover.
5) Bring the mixture to a boil and then gently cook over low heat for about 2 hours.
6) Taste to check for seasoning and then add the freshly ground pepper and salt to taste.
7) Chop the bacon, or if ham is used, scrape off the pieces of meat from it and throw away the bone.
8) Mix together the meat and collards.
9) Serve hot.