|Collard||4 Pound (Fresh)|
|Bacon slab/Meaty country ham bone||1 1⁄2 Pound|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs) (Enough To Cover)|
1) Trim the large stems, if any, and throw them away.
2) Rinse the collards in various changes of cold water so that all the sand is thoroughly removed.
3) Chop the leaves into strips coarsely.
4) Combine together the leaves with either the bacon or the ham bone and add just enough water to cover.
5) Bring the mixture to a boil and then gently cook over low heat for about 2 hours.
6) Taste to check for seasoning and then add the freshly ground pepper and salt to taste.
7) Chop the bacon, or if ham is used, scrape off the pieces of meat from it and throw away the bone.
8) Mix together the meat and collards.
9) Serve hot.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3664 Calories from Fat 2824
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 308 g473.3%
Saturated Fat 109 g545%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 540 mg180%
Sodium 3870.6 mg161.3%
Total Carbohydrates 103 g34.4%
Dietary Fiber 65.3 g261.3%
Sugars 8.3 g
Protein 128 g256.9%
Vitamin A 2419.7% Vitamin C 1067.4%
Calcium 263.1% Iron 19.2%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet