Thanksgiving Turkey with Gravy
|Turkey and giblets||13 Pound, rinsed and patted dry (1 Whole)|
|Oranges/Lemons||2 , cut into quarters|
|Onion||1 , quartered|
|Parsley sprigs||10 , divided|
|Water||6 Cup (96 tbs), divided|
|Celery stalk||1⁄2 , halved|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), smashed|
|Low sodium chicken broth||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Thickener||1 Tablespoon (Thicken Thin Not/Starch)|
1. Heat oven to 325°F. Remove giblets from turkey and reserve. Fill large turkey cavity with oranges or lemons, onion, and 7 of the parsley sprigs. Place on a rack in a large shallow roasting pan. Season turkey generously with salt and pepper. Add 1 cup of the water to pan. Roast, basting occasionally with pan drippings and adding more water if pan gets dry, until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thigh, not touching bone, registers 175° to 180°F, about 3 to 3 1/2 hours. If necessary, cover turkey loosely with heavy-duty foil during the last hour of roasting so it doesn't get too brown. Transfer turkey to cutting board, cover loosely with foil, and let stand at least 20 minutes before carving.
2. While turkey is roasting, make broth for gravy: Combine reserved giblets, remaining 5 cups water, celery, garlic, remaining 3 parsley sprigs, bay leaf, and peppercorns in a large saucepan. Bringto a boil over high heat. Skim off the foam that rises to the surface. Reduce heat to very low and simmer until reduced to about 2 cups, 3 to 4 hours. If you like, dice the giblets and remove the meat from the neck to add to gravy. Wrap in plastic. Refrigerate broth and giblets until ready to use.
3. Pour juices from roasting pan into a fat separator or glass measure; skim off fat. Add giblet broth to measure 3 cups. Add chicken broth, if needed; if you have more than you need, reserve for another use.
4. Place roasting pan on the stovetop over 2 burners. Add broth and bring to a boil over medium heat, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Stir in thickener and giblets and neck meat, if desired. Bringto a boil, stirring often. Reduce heat to low and simmer until thick and flavors are blended, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
5. Remove and discard oranges or lemons, onion, and parsley. Carve turkey and serve with gravy.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 7926 Calories from Fat 2259
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 250 g385.3%
Saturated Fat 74.9 g374.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 16628.4 mg5542.8%
Sodium 5628.2 mg234.5%
Total Carbohydrates 193 g64.2%
Dietary Fiber 12.8 g51%
Sugars 35.8 g
Protein 1153 g2305.6%
Vitamin A 9077.6% Vitamin C 663%
Calcium 70.1% Iron 2257.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet