|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Boiling water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
1. Wash the quail well and thoroughly pat dry with a kitchen towel.
2. Season the quails with salt and pepper and dredge with flour.
3. In a large casserole or Dutch oven, melt the butter over a medium flame.
4. Sear the quails well on all sides.
5. Lower the flame and add the lard to the quails.
6. Pour the boiling water, cover the pot and reduce the flame.
7. Simmer until the birds are tender, adding more water if required while cooking.
8. Once the liquid has evaporated, add the butter and brown the birds until well coated with butter.
9. Remove the birds onto a serving platter and keep warm
10. Make the gravy by blending in the flour into the butter and drippings in the pan.
11. Gradually add the water, stirring and cook till thick and smooth.
12. Serve the quail with the gravy.