Twice Cooked Quail
|Quail||2 Pound (8 Pieces)|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Rosemary sprigs/1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary||8 Small|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm), thinly sliced|
|Safflower oil||1 1⁄2 Tablespoon|
|Strong chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs), reduced (Unsalted, Reduced, If Necessary)|
1. Preheat the oven to 450° F.
2. In a small bowl, combine the pepper, salt, rosemary and garlic.
3. Rub the spice and seasoning mixture into the cavity and on the outside of each quail.
4. Truss each quail using a 10 inch butchers twine such that the drumsticks are tucked under the string and the birds sit on their back.
5. Grease a large roasting pan, big enough to fit 8 quails, with oil or butter.
6. Brush the trussed quails with oil and arrange them in the greased pan, on their backs and breast side up.
7. Place the roasting pan in the preheated oven and roast the quails for 20 minutes.
8. Transfer the roasting pan from the oven to the stove on a medium flame.
9. Pour the stock and wine over the birds and into the pan.
10. Simmer the stock for 2 to 3 minutes, turning the birds in the liquid while it reduces.
11. Remove the bird onto a service platter and cut the twine. Allow the bird to rest for 5 minutes.
12. Arrange 2 birds on each of the 4 dinner plates.
13. Spoon the sauce generously over and around the quails.
14. Serve along with a salad.
Calories 499 Calories from Fat 273
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 30 g46.9%
Saturated Fat 8.2 g40.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 174.1 mg58%
Sodium 450.2 mg18.8%
Total Carbohydrates 6 g2%
Dietary Fiber 0.68 g2.7%
Sugars 1 g
Protein 47 g94.5%
Vitamin A 13.5% Vitamin C 26.1%
Calcium 5.4% Iron 54.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet